Saturday, December 5, 2009

PLE Week 13

The article I read was "Fighting Internet Filth" by Mario Hipol. I watched videos on online predators-Katie's story, as well as cyberbullying-about the kid who committed suicide. I also watched some on parents being aware of what is on the internet. There was one about a super controlling mom who wanted to know everything her kids were doing on the internet, and it was just driving them away from her. I watched the cartoon video about online predators, and then one about cell phones and pictures and how they can get on the internet.

I think some of the most important things I took away from the videos were to be aware of what children are doing on the internet, but don't be too nosy. Since that one mom was being too nosy, her son didn't want to share anything with her. So she ended up getting the exact opposite of what she wanted. I also thought it was interesting how one video said a study had been done showing that most students already know a lot about internet safety. I think kids are pretty informed these days, but they do need reminders as well.

For my "doing" experience, I talked to my 13-year-old brother. When I asked him what he already knew about internet safety he said to not give out personal information to anyone. So that's the main thing that has stuck out to him. As I shared things with him, like not chatting with people you don't know, avoiding cyberbullying, telling an adult if anything inappropriate comes up on the computer, he remembered hearing about that already. So he already knew most of the things, he just needed a little reminder. I shared the Faux Paw video with him, and he actually said he had seen it before a few years ago.

I think I was a little surprised at how much he already knew, and that they do share videos and stuff in school. He's already pretty good about internet safety, but I think it was good to remind him, and hopefully he'll continue to remember it, and follow that advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment